Monday, May 10, 2010

"Talk To The Axe..." (Redux)



Gone is my favorite fantasy artist of all time. Originally, the title of this post was going to be something along the lines of "Aw, Shit..." but you know what? F that noise.

Once again, I am going to set aside sadness and instead celebrate a life that touched the hearts and minds of many folks...inspiring some to great art and others to imaginative journeys through the pages of literature. Frank Frazetta was a great man, and certainly one who left an indelible mark on the fantasy genre. His courage and creativity will NOT be missed as his artwork...some of the most memorable commercial art of the 20th century...will surely outlive most of us viewing it today.

Thanks, Frank. I know I was both inspired and thrilled by your works.

[the above piece of art, posted withOUT permission, is perhaps my single favorite fantasy work of all time. No doubt about it, God blessed that man's pen]

4 comments:

  1. The man was a Master!

    I can't count the number of encounters I ran players through in my games that were inspired by his imagery.

    I raise my axe in salute of the genius of Frazetta!

    Actually, "Talk to the Axe..." would so-o-o make a great title for a blogspot!

    Ciao!
    Grendelwulf

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Grendel: ...OR a great name for a barbaric talk show!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This man is a legend. I hope to find a good collection of his work before the prices start to soar...

    ReplyDelete